Monday 17 October 2011

Nunc bibendum volutpat terrere

*Now we drink spooky drinks.

His Lordship has been snooty and unreasonable about this post, dubbing it 'gimmicky', 'low-brow' and 'twaddle'. Like some alcoholic RSPCA advert he abhors the connection between any cocktail and a specific date, proposing that they are something to be celebrated every day. Anyway, he has refused to contribute to my 'novelty post' and is thus in the blog-house for now. So I am writing it. I don't know much about the finest ingredients, nor can I enlighten you with obscure anecdotes, I've just chosen some recipes for my top 5 Halloween cocktails, innit.




5) The Bloody Mary
If you say 'Bloody Mary' to a bar tender 5 times and spin around, you fall over.

I prefer mine with no ice, and no solid celery. Raw celery is an abomination and has no place in civilised society, sometimes I stir it with a twiglet, too. Nom.

My method is:
  1. Take a glass 'water' jug, chill it for 30 minutes or so in the freezer then fill it 4 fingers up the side with Stolichnaya Red
  2. Take a carton of very cold fresh tomato juice. Shake it very well so the thickness goes right through. pour over the vodka and stir.
  3. If you have any dry sherry, add just a dash now, or you could use Angastura Bitters.
  4. Add 2 standard tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. Stir well.
  5. Add Encona Hot Pepper Sauce to taste. This is thicker than Tabasco and needs a good stir again.
  6. Garnish with cucumber and a sprinkle of paprika.
  7. What, you thought this was to share? Nah, hand me those novelty straws...
Actually, this makes 4 servings.

4) Victorian Mojito

Because Victorian is one step away from goths and creepy dolls.

Photo from CUT OUT AND KEEP recipe by Cat Morley
I tend to stick to the recipe linked to above, however if you use fizzy apple juice it adds a light twist to the recipe. I am considering 'autumning it up' with berry fruits in place of lime and some cinnamon. I'll feed back on the results.

3) Bacardi and Dr Pepper

Only because it makes me act really scary. Really scary. I'll tell you the story sometime: only if you buy me one. But don't.

2) Cider Punch

Note to readers from over the pond; I mean proper cider. Hard cider. Ciderdelica.

What you do is get yourself some cider. Either go and choose some from Middle Farm, or grab yourself some Aspalls. Warm it gently in a pan with half as much apple juice, a good slug of Brandy or Calvados, a teaspoon of allspice, a couple of drops of Vanilla extract and two spoons full of brown sugar. Heat it gently; you don't want to burn off any of the boozy goodness. Serve it in chunky mugs or heatproof glasses, with a slice of apple to garnish...and tell those pesky trick-or-treaters to get orf your land!

1) The Viking Funeral

(C) His Lordship. He's suddenly perked up and decided to contribute, knocking my suggestion of an Irish Disco Biscuit (green, hence spooky).

The Viking funeral is something my so-called better half invented at university. It varies from person to person, but it is, essentially:
  • A double shot of vodka
  • A double shot of 'your' drink (the one that makes you tres tipsy)
  • Ice cold Coke
Funnily enough this cocktail never made it into any trendy mixologists books, nor to the bar areas of any five star hotels. But I tell you, this is apt for Halloween; it'll keep the cold out, and one too many and you'll be seeing spooky spirits and waking up, mysteriously confused as to what happened the night before.

Bar that, my absolute number one cocktail for Halloween would be a Palinka blood punch; sweet red wine, lemonade, red grape juice and a shot of the obscure Central European spirit. For why? Well, Palinka comes from Transylvania. We got ourselves some kerítésszaggató (home brew) on our honeymoon...which was, funnily enough, Halloween last year. How romantic. Might have to crack it out for the ole' anniversary next week!

Err no thanks. Bacardi and Dr Pepper?
What do you mean no way...?
How do you warm your cockles on a winter night?

19 comments:

  1. Ahhhh love this post!

    I'm not much of a cocktail mixer myself but I am definitely going to be buying a Bloody Mary or two followed by a Screaming Orgasm when out on Hallowe'en night.

    My choice of home drinking before hitting the pub will always be Vodka and cloudy lemonade.. maybe mixed up a bit with some brandy and hell why not throw in some cider too just to get me completely sloshed! Mixing drinks is deadly :| xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite cocktail at Uni was always 'Love on the rocks' - vodka, archers, OJ, cranberry and Grenadine. We knew the Barman so they were always VERY large/strong! Many a good night out that started 'love on the rocks' and finished 'vomit on the concrete' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely going to be trying the cider punch, merci!

    My favourite cocktail ever was one called 'Flying Grasshopper' which a particular bar in Bournemouth used to do. Haven't found one since those days though, sadly. I love me some novelty, girly cocktails.

    Have you been to Valentino's in Brighton? xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an absolute cocktail WHORE, anything with a top shelf Vodka and some fresh juice gets me going. My favorite is vodka mixed with fresh cranberry juice, a splash of lime, a bit of sugar and a few slices of kiwi. Four and I am completely hammered. I find the better the booze the less of a hangover I have.

    Cheers and bottoms up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nowt wrong with a spooktastic post. Fact.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh hello Victorian Mojito - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bacardi and Dr Pepper sounds like the kind of concoction I'd be forced to drink if we couldn't be arsed to walk to the offie.
    I'm definitely going to give some of these a go. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank god for 'gimmicky', 'low-brow' and 'twaddle' I say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had a cocktail in ages. I have to say the Barcardi and Dr Pepper sounds good though, being the classy chick that I am. Might give the Victoria Mojito a try too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I love a cocktail or ten. Creamy, rummy ones are my fave!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. I love a cocktail or ten. Creamy, rummy ones are my fave!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. I love a cocktail or ten. Creamy, rummy ones are my fave!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun post! Great drink ideas too! That Victorian Mojito looks divine! Since I have my tiki bar in my sunroom, the husband and I often find ourselves making rum-infused tropical drinks on the weekends. I love Mai Tais! They are so good but evil! lol! You can barely taste the rum and 151 and if you are not mindful, you can end up being one dizzy hula girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tell his lordship to stick lowbrow up his bottom!

    I did Halloween cocktails in 2009 and I'm as high brow as they come innit! http://www.retrochick.co.uk/2009/10/28/trick-or-treat-5-sexy-halloween-cocktails/

    I fancy the Victorian Mojito.

    Yum yum. Back on the cocktails tomorrow. (or later if my day doesn't improve!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tips, useful ideas for a Halloween party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum, yum, yum, by the way I've passed a blog award on to you!! X

    ReplyDelete
  17. yum, gimme gimme! But not the bacardi and doctor pepper...

    xx Charlotte
    Tuppence Ha'penny Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  18. i'm dire at necking cocktails. I am wayyyy to much of a lightweight to handle them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dearest Perdita,
    congratulations you've won the 'Saree Queen' top in my bohemian giveaway. Please e-mail me your address on frocktasia@yahoo.co.uk and I will pop it in the post for you on Monday. Hope you are having a fab weekend!
    Lot's of love,
    Jennie...x

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!